Please add the date and price to your event description. Only the event title and description information are sent out in newsletters to other members.
SHEN Swimming Carnival 2 April 2019 (bookings close 19 March 2019)
April 2 @ 9:30 am - 2:00 pm$11.00 - $18.00
Due to feedback from last year’s cancelled swimming carnival, the venue and logistics have been changed!
Location: Auburn Ruth Everniss Aquatic Centre at Church St, Lidcombe. ( 10mins walk from Lidcombe train station)
Date and Time: Tuesday 2nd April 2019, arrive at 9:30am to register, 10am sharp start; finish between 1-2pm depending on race times and participant numbers.
Ticket Prices: Non-SHEN: $18.00; SHEN members: $13.00; Large family discount (family of 3+ children) per child: $11.00
The event will be held in two sections, competitive and novelty.
1. Competitive Swimming Age Races (25m and 50m) held in the 25m 6-lane indoor lap pool
- Team Relay (4 laps of 25m, all 4 strokes above – for 12 yrs+)
- Girls and boys will swim separately.
- There will be certificates given out to male and female age champions only, no ribbons for placing or participation.
- “Age” is the age your child is at the time of the carnival – if your child would prefer to swim in the older age bracket (e.g. they are 10 turning 11, and would like to swim with the 11 year old group) then they certainly may, and you can either put that in the ticket or they must let us know when they are arriving.
- We have limited time to hire the pool so everyone needs to be alert and aware of which race is coming next. We cannot re-run a race if your child missed their age group, so please listen carefully to instructions from those doing marshalling. I will send through a list of running order but cannot judge what time particular races will be on since we don’t know how long they will take or how many are swimming in the heats. We will run heats of each age group event followed immediately by finals of that event (e.g. after 10 year old freestyle heats, the 10 year old freestyle final will be run).
- Please make your children aware that finals participants will be judged by their TIME not their PLACING in the heats: e.g. if your child places 1st in their heat, but 6 swimmers in the following heats swim faster, your child will not be in the final – I know this may seem a bit harsh or unfair, but it is how competitive swimming races are run. All heat swimmers will need to listen carefully at the end of the heats to see if they are one of the 6 final swimmers. There are 6 lanes, so there will be 6 swimmers in the final races.
- Help will be required by parents or teens on the day to time the races, note the times and decide the final racers.
2. Novelty Races (for non-competitive/younger swimmers) held in the Program Pool next to the 25m pool
- The novelty races are supposed to be more fun than competitive! We will need help from teens and/or parents to help run them on the day. The ideas we have so far are:
- Pool noodle races/relays
- Large ball races/relays
- Kickboard races/relays
- Baggy shirt races
- Balloon races
- Make a raft out of pool noodles… other suggestions for races and games are welcome!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Please have your children arrive wearing their swimmers under their clothes to save time changing before the start.
- While in the pool complex, the normal pool safety rules apply – no running, diving, jumping etc. Races will be started IN THE POOL, not by diving.
- On arrival, swimming carnival participants (students) may enter via the side gate where their name will be marked off the register and a coloured wrist band will be allocated with age written on it – parents will enter via the front entrance and pay a spectator fee of $3.80. You will then come to sign the insurance register and collect your child from the 50m pool. There will be teen/parent helpers allocated to look after your children until you arrive to collect them.
- The carnival tickets allow access to the areas we have hired ONLY – the 25m pool and the program pool. Management has instructed us that if you or your children would like access to the rest of the pool complex including the recreation pool and the splash pad, you must buy a standard entry ticket for your child at the front entry on arrival. Your children must be supervised if they are leaving the hired areas.
- There is a kiosk/cafe where you may purchase food on the day or please feel free to bring your own food and drinks.
- Sunscreen, hats and water bottles are required if you wish to use the outdoor areas.
- When purchasing your ticket, please fill in your child’s name and age and select which races they may like to compete in – if they decide to pull out on the day, that’s fine.
- If you are able to offer yours, or your teen’s help on the day, please email me at email@example.com. This event requires your volunteered help to run smoothly – we are not using a third party organiser this year!
- If you have any other questions about the day please email me at the same address or call me on 0404 130 901. If you have questions about the venue, please contact Auburn Aquatic Centre on 9749 5031.
Looking forward to seeing you all! If you know other people that aren’t on the SHEN list and may like to register for the event, please pass it along! Deb Hamwood, Organiser.